9-Step Guide to Renting Your Dream Home
- Know What You Can Afford Whether you’re a first-time renter or an experienced renter, you must know what fits your budget. Learn how you can maximize your money to ensure you don’t over extend yourself.
- Identify Your Rental Personality Before you even fill out an application, know what kind of rental might suit you. We have some ideas to help you narrow your criteria.
- Make Your Rental Search Mobile So you’re ready to hit the road and look for a place. Before you do, make sure to download the realtor.com® Rental App. After you’ve installed it, we have tips and tricks to make your mobile search a breeze.
- Know What to Ask a Potential Landlord Find something you like? Before you walk in the door, ensure you make a great first impression with a landlord. Here are some surprising facts landlords wish you knew.
- Scope Out the ‘Hood Make sure your rental is in a good area. Read up on red flags to be aware of when looking at a place in an unfamiliar neighborhood.
- Make Your Application Shine Don’t get shut out from a place you love. Once you’ve identified a dream rental, know how to make a good impression and avoid getting rejected by a landlord.
- Read Your Rental Agreement Carefully Before you sign on the dotted line, know what’s in your rental agreement. Here are a few handy tips on what to ask your landlord prior to sealing the deal.
- Decide Whether You Need Renter’s Insurance So you’re all moved in. But what about all your precious possessions? Without a homeowner’s policy, should you be concerned? Learn all about renter’s insurance.
- Know Your Rights as a Renter If trouble arises with your landlord, how should you handle it? Learn what to do if you run into landlord problems.